Group Therapy > Mindfulness Through Meditation: An Experiential Group
Mindfulness Through Meditation: An Experiential Group
By Dan Pollets
A six session experiential group (limited to eight participants) is being offered by Dr. Pollets on developing Mindfulness through the practice of Meditation. Meditation is an ancient and proven method of cultivating attention and awareness. The trait of mindfulness has been shown by research to be associated with mental and physical well-being. Mindfulness has evolved from Buddhist psychology and has been upgraded and integrated with modern psychotherapeutic techniques (cognitive behavioral psychotherapy). Mindfulness has been shown to be an effective antidote to the potential destructive symptoms of stress. Rigorous clinical studies have demonstrated how the consistent practice of Mindful Awareness can help treat common conditions such as stress disorders, pain conditions, anxiety/panic disorders and clinical depression
In each weekly session, Dr. Pollets will introduce a new concept in the Psychology of Mindfulness. Exercises and demonstrations will be conducted in the group in order to offer participants a direct, “hands on” experience with meditation. The group will practice specific meditations with the goal of promoting and encouraging the participant’s own individual meditation practice.
- What is mindfulness and what are the benefits of learning this practice.
- How the benefits of “present moment, non-reactive awareness” (mindfulness) reduces suffering. How meditation affects and develops important executive structures of the brain.
- How to create the proper attitudes that support a meditative practice.
- How to meditate and how to make room for it in your life. How to apply mindfulness to every day life.
- Using mindfulness to help regulate difficult emotions and obsessive thinking.
- Developing a practice of self-compassion to help free us from our “trance of unworthiness.”
Six consecutive Tuesday evenings: 6pm to 7:30pm
Beginning Date: TBA (approx mid-September)
Dr. Pollets’ office: 92 High Street; Ste. 31; Medford
$50/session or $300 for six session’s payable at or before initial session
Phone: 781.391.8899 or email: DrDanPollets@gmail.com
Dr. Pollets is a licensed clinical psychologist and certified ASSECT Diplomat in sex therapy. He has over 32 years experience providing psychotherapy. He has an extensive background in leading group psychotherapy. He is an Associate Clinical Professor at Boston University Medical School. He is currently on an active member of the psychiatry staff at Winchester Hospital. Dr. Pollets has practiced Mindfulness Meditation for six years and has taken numerous courses and retreats. He is currently in private practice in Medford. Visit him on the web at http:/DrDanPollets.com.